Waiting for a dog

So, I’m in a bit of a quandary. I contacted one rescue group and applied to foster with them a few weeks ago. I said no toy dogs and noted that we had an 18 pound cat. They immediately offered me a 3 pound yorkie.


I then told them that I was traveling at the end of the month, so didn’t want to take a dog before then. Considering that their website says they go through phone interviews and home visits and such, I just wanted to get the ball rolling so we could hit the ground running when we got back (although Mythbusters have proved you can’t really hit the ground running).

They said, let us know when you’re back. So I did. Sunday night. And I said, very clearly this time, that we could only take a dog who weighed 20 pounds or more. And asked if they had any that matched our living situation. They didn’t. But said they would have more dogs by end of week. And that they’d have a foster councilor contact me and schedule a home visit.


This is why I contacted you guys two weeks ago. To get the home visit done. Okay. Fine. Whatever.

But, I notice, looking at their website, that they seem to only rescue small dogs. Mostly chihuahua or poodle mixes. Neither of which I like (Sorry to you poodle lovers, I get that they’re nice dogs, just not for me. No apologies to chihuahua lovers, you’re just nuts.). So I’m a little worried. And I haven’t heard from that councilor. And I am bad at waiting.

So… I’m not sure if I should stick with this group. There’s another rescue organization nearby that seems to rescue larger dogs (lab mixes and shepherd mixes and border collie mixes, oh my!). And they seem a tad more organized. So I’m wondering if I should have gone with them. Honestly, right now I wish I had.

But… I don’t want to be a flake. I would feel guilty for applying with Group 1 and then not working with them. J points out that we’re doing a service, and if they don’t listen to basic requests (no toy dogs, yo, we have a ginormous cat who would eat them for dinner) we might not want to work with them. He thinks there’s no need for me to feel guilty. I remind him I’m descended of both Catholics and Jews, feeling guilty is what I do. It’s in my bone marrow.

Meh. I want to foster a dog. A dog larger than my cats. A dog that J finds acceptable (he is anti-poofy and very anti-ankle biters). Since much of the point of this is giving him a chance to live with a dog and see if he can tolerate it long term, I really don’t want him to have this experience be negative.

Please. A lab mix. Or a shepherd mix. Or a larger spaniel. Or a golden mix. Something sizable and chill around other animals.

Edited to add: the second group has a dog I would love to foster who just went up on their site…

6 Responses

  1. I’d totally go with the second organization since they focus more on the types of dogs you want. No need to feel guilty or flakey the first one just doesn’t sound like a good fit for you.

    By the way I love my two lab mixes.

  2. I think you should go apply with the other organization and tell organization #1 that you realized belatedly that they specialize in small dogs, which don’t work for you.

    Everything I have heard suggests that it is much, much easier to find foster homes for small dogs than for large ones. And adoptive homes. If you’re willing and able to take a big dog, I think you should head over to the big dogs rescue group and not feel guilty. (The dogs that have the absolute hardest time, apparently, are large black dogs. People don’t want black dogs, which I find utterly bizarre.)

  3. Go with the second group. It isn’t as if you’ve already accepted a dog and are now saying ‘no, can’t do it’. And the first group doesn’t seem to have dogs which would work for you.

  4. I see nothing flakey in contacting two organisations and going with the first that can offer what you’re looking for. Especially given signs of incipient flakiness in Group 1. Don’t sit there pining for a particular dog you won’t let yourself apply for; there is such a thing as being too nice. In every sense of the word.

Leave a Reply