Or at least, thatâ€™s what heâ€™s trying to do. But Iâ€™m not going to let him. And Iâ€™m asking for your help.
My grandmother died in March, leaving her rabbi & tenant of the last 15 years as her primary beneficiary. Which makes perfect sense; he was her family. She left him lifetime tenancy in her house, $50k a year that will likely last him the rest of his life, and two small dogs.
When I first spoke to her lawyer, he told me the rabbi was unhappy about having the dogs and that he was worried the rabbi would put them down. At the time, I thought my parents or I could take them. But Iâ€™m a freelancer and currently I donâ€™t have a gig. My savings were wiped out when my cat needed an emergency surgery and I already have three rescues. I canâ€™t afford it.
Weâ€™ve also learned that my mother needs to have a surgery soon, which will require roughly two months recovery time in which my father will be taking care of her. Â My parents canâ€™t take the dogs.
I explained all this to the rabbi a few weeks ago. I pointed out that my grandmother, in her will, specifically left the dogs to him; clearly she expected him to care for them. I thought it was settled at that point.
Yesterday I received an email from the lawyerâ€™s office telling me the rabbi is going to have the dogs put down. They argued with him, trying to convince him to at least take the dogs to a shelter where theyâ€™d have a chance. Or put up a notice at the vetâ€™s office saying the dogs were up for adoption. He seems to have agreed.
He also left me a voicemail saying that if I want the dogs put down, heâ€™ll do that but he obviously canâ€™t keep them. Heâ€™s trying to put this on me, to salve his conscience, but itâ€™s his responsibility. Itâ€™s his choice. He *owes* my grandmother this.
Heâ€™s right, though. I wonâ€™t let him kill her dogs.
Within two minutes of searching, I found a no-kill shelter not far from the house. The dogs will be going there. But I would much rather find a home for the both of them. Which is why Iâ€™m asking for your help. Give this a signal boost. Maybe you know someone who would want them or could offer suggestions.
Iâ€™ll post a picture here of the dogs as soon as I can get a hold of one.
The dogs are in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. A mini-dachshund and a terrier mix.
I’m so sorry, Diana; I’m sure your grandmother didnt expect that. I just got a dog, and was thinking about re-writing my will so that money would go expressly for her care if something happens to me.
(I”ll boost the signal, I’m in SF too, but have friends in FL!)
Thank you 🙂 And I think that’s a wise idea. I should do the same.
Got here via Scalzi, I live in West Palm and have shared your message with my friends on twitter/facebook.
A breed-specific rescue might be able to help you, too. as an alternative to a shelter. Let them know that the terrier and dachshund are a bonded pair.
I will. Thank you!
I have shared your story on Facebook, I hope someone steps up. Also try contacting Dachshund rescue, they will help you esp with the Doxie, and probably both if you tell they are a bonded pair.
Good luck, I hope you find them a loving home.
Thank you! I’ll try that.
how old are the dogs/ will they live with a cat?
I don’t know how they do with cats, unfortunately. The terrier is around 4, the doxie around 10.
I’d love to take care of the pups, but we have 3 rescued dogs and 3 cats as it is. Bringing two more might start WWIII. 😛 Boosting the signal as I type this!
Well you story is going far and wide, you should out this guy. Someone in the congregation will take them.